Monday, February 25, 2008

Foppa Returns

So I write this relatively lengthy entry about how great Forsberg is and how sad I am that we'll most likely never see him play again and today it was announced that not only is he back, he's gone back to play for his original team the Colorado Avalanche. No details on the length of the contract, but he is officially back. While I'm quite excited to see the man known as Foppa back on the ice and hopefully embarrassing people like Ryan Whitney (read my previous post), I'm surprised to see him go back to a team that is struggling to even make the playoffs much less compete for the Cup. While I know Colorado is his home team, they currently sit in 10th place, suffer through inconsistent goaltending and have a number of quality teams ahead of them in the race. I'm not sure what to make of the fact that he signed a one-year deal with a team that has, at best, a 50-50 shot at making the playoffs. If I had to make a guess it's that Peter doesn't want injuries to determine when he retires, something he's always stated publicly, and by coming back and playing the rest of the year he'll be proving to himself that injuries didn't "force" him to retire. I would assume that he figures going back to the place where he had most of his success was the best way to close his career. It'll be interesting to see, but at least we get to watch him one more time.

No comments: